Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One of my New Year's Intentions - Natural Cleaning Products

So here it is..... 2011.  As I mentioned in my prior post, New Year's resolutions are for me pretty non-effective.  So much emphasis is put upon creating a new and improved version of myself that it makes me crabby.The fallout usually occurring by the end of February was ugly. So a couple of years ago I just began writing down my New Year's Intentions.  Each year I evaluate and try to upgrade.  There is something about brushing off the old and approaching the New year with gusto so at the very least I feel a little freshened by the prospect of the 2011 Amy.

This years intentions are mainly a repeat of last year's. They include remembering to bring my green bags into the grocery store, to use my juicer daily, and to search out and buy from the smaller local food distributors.  I also wrote down serving my family more scratch meals which I know is a tall order for the 6 of us.  Although I grew up in a home where most of our meals  were grown in our backyard, I admit I can still be seduced by the simplicity of today's prepared and unfortunately processed products.  However, getting a swift kick in the butt from cancer was a huge motivator to make that one a year long effort. And of course deepening my personal yoga practice is always on the list but I could write an entire blog post on that one.

The one intention I really wanted to share today was my switch over to all natural cleaning products.  Better for the environment; better for my family.  I love the Seventh Generation line of cleaning products but recently a friend gave me a bottle of her home made cleaner and I love it! Smells great and works well for multi-surface cleaning. The grapefruit seed extract and essential oils are available at most natural food stores. Shake up the ingredients in a reusable spray bottle and you are living green.



Natural Cleaner

1/4 c. vodka (no sipping while cleaning)
1/2 c. hydrogen peroxide
1 C. water
5 drops of grapefruit seed extract
10 drops of lavender essential oil
5 drops of lemon essential oil.

Mix together. 

There are many great recipes out there but this one is especially nice. Enjoy and Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!