Tuesday, January 1, 2013

How Is It Supposed to Be?

Hello 2013.  I feel as though I have been waiting for you for such a long time. These last few months I have felt...well....undefined.  Stuck in a writing rut,  I can't tell you how many times I have sat down to write a blog post only to stare blankly at the computer screen.  The little writing I did didn't fell substantial or authentic.

Finally it occurred to me that it was OK to take a writing break and let things just play out.  I needed to step back and be OK with the fact that stuff wasn't just rolling out from my fingertips.  I finally just gave myself permission to take a break.

That said, the approaching New Year is always a time to redefine.  Instead of setting resolutions this year I have decided to work on accepting that life in general won't just roll along as planned. In part, that is what makes it so beautiful. 2013 will bring forth its share of surprises. Some of them will delight me and some will trip me up. And the only real control I have (despite my fervor at always wanting to  prepared)  is the way I react.  Case in point was the stomach flu that invaded our home the week of Christmas. With so much to do and family coming I hadn't planned on taking care of myself and other sick persons.  And if you're a mom, you can empathize with the, "Oh, and another 40 hours of work has just been heaped upon your regular schedule.  Too bad you don't feel well.  Move along." So I rested, accepted, and finally mustered up the strength to plow through.  Actually, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

 I love the approaching New Year.  It is bright and shiny, full of promise, and dust free.  We become reflective of what 2012 looked like and  eager to start over with a clean slate.  I feel like I had taken some risks in 2012. Some have paid off, some have not.  But overall I learned and often had fun in the process. So even the risks were rewards.

As I sit here now, I can hear my thirteen year old strumming her guitar and singing the new Philip Phillips song.  She has been working it for over an hour.  The beauty of her practice is that she has nothing to prove, only the opportunity to be caught up in a moment of finding beauty in her own music.    

I wish that same ability to just "be" for all of you.  Take care of yourself of course and always strive for the rainbow.  But don't lose sight of how fabulous you already are.  The little gem above is a good reminder for all of us.

Namaste ~ Peace, Blessings, and Acceptance in 2013.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are so right! Just be who you are...smell the roses along the way. Too bad it took your mom a lot longer to "just be" and enjoy every day. Love your writing and as always I am amazed at your energy and creativity. Love and happiness to you and the fam for the new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!