Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Juice a Day for Happy Cells

When I was diagnosed with cancer I had a fabulous support team.  And I received some amazing gifts from those who loved me.  Two of my favorites I still use on a regular basis.


The first was the book, Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr.  My sister sent it to me and at first I was a little shocked, just by the title.  Never heard anyone refer to cancer as sexy and I really wasn't feeling it myself at that point.  But reading through it was a great experience.  The author had a sassy kick- ass approach to her cancer diagnosis and I remember thinking I was going to plow through my fight with as much of the same attitude that I could muster.  Her writing inspired my writing.  And it was my yoga and my writing that got me through the next nine months. (And, my cancer posse......another blog post).

Another fabulous life change that I took from  the book was juicing.  Kris Carr sings the praises of juicing and my favorite concept was sending those cancer devils to their death with my immune boosting juice war. There is a feeling of powerlessness at times  with cancer but this was another weapon in my fight.  It gave me control. My sister followed up the book gift with a group gift of an Omega Juicer that she and my BFF's from high school chipped in for.  My affair with juicing began and I am proud to say that I have since then inspired quite a few other friends to juice.

Sooooo, here are my favorite juice recipes.  Use organic whenever you can.  Even if you aren't sick I can promise you (I promise) that juice will make your body feel better.  Don't get too technical about the sizes/amounts.....just throw it all in and juice yourself silly.

Sunset Cocktail

1 small beet
1 orange
1 apple
2 carrots
handful of grapes (great sweetener!)

And, my newest fav. from Kris Carr's book:

Key Lime Smoothie

1 avocado
1 peeled and seeded lime
1 cup of coconut water
cucumber
2 tsp. stevia
Sometimes I add a handful of romaine or a kiwi to make it really sweet. I also put the juice through a second time to really blend the avocado in.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!