Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Searching for Spring with Butterfly Pose - Baddha Konasana

Baddha Konasana or Butterfly Yoga Pose
As our Wisconsin weather gasps out yet another snowfall (please tell me it's our last), I'm searching for a great yoga sequence to welcome in a new season.  Perhaps a spring yoga sequence would speak to mother nature much like a rain dance?  At this point, I'm willing to give anything a try.

Truthfully Badda Konasana, sometimes referred to as butterfly pose, always speaks to me and I weave it in and out of almost all of my daily classes.  Known primarily for its benefits to the groin and inner thigh area, I love it for the space it creates for my lumbar spine. Be mindful of lengthening your spine in this pose and consider using a blanket or block to sit on if you feel like your lower back is curving.

Sit straight and tall.  Bring the soles of your feet together towards your pelvis and allow your knees to release off to the sides.  Gently pull open the feet much like you are opening a book.  You can also slightly press your elbows into your thighs gently encouraging the release of your hips but never force the knees down.  Breathe as you lengthen your spine. 

Draw your focus to your breath as you allow the knees to release to the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!