Friday, February 3, 2012

A Survivor's Perspective on the Current Situation involving the Susan G. Komen Org.

Funny how my last weeks blog post was on perspective when this week I felt as though it was twisted up into an unrecognizable blob. Perspective certainly alluded me as I could not sort out my feeling in the recent Susan G. Komen fiasco.  As a survivor I think I have a unique perspective and yet really need to step back and not get caught up in the emotions. Yeah, right.

On one hand the contributions that the Komen Org have made are huge.  Despite your political stance no one can deny that  SGK has made a significant difference.  I said I wasn't going to let my emotions play out in this one but its hard, no impossible,  knowing that the cancer battle I fought probably would have been a losing one just twenty short years ago.  Awareness and science go hand in hand and Susan G Komen's organization was at the forefront of awareness.

At the same time, I am also acutely aware of the significance of early screening and detection.  I did not go into that first mammogram with even the smallest inkling of something amiss.  If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I suspected/felt  something...you know the rest of that line.....but no, I did not. I did not suspect a thing.  I fully intended to leave the baseline of my mammogram in the hands of my doc, walk out the clinic, and throw my kids and gear into a Landcruiser headed towards an island. Not. a. clue. So, consider me for a sec.  I am a self -proclaimed poster child for early detection.  I was fortunate enough to have the accessibility of that mammogram.  Take that away from any woman on this planet (directly or indirectly) and my blood will boil.

I'm going to take a deep breath here and not venture into my thoughts on Planned Parenthood.  But, if I may suggest, please resist pulling dollars from any organization that supports either women's health screenings, awareness, or creating a life beyond cancer.  All essentially have made a significant difference in the fight.

Living Beyond Breast
Cancer
Going forward I am very pleased to write for  Living Beyond Breast Cancer.  They have an amazing event called Yoga on the Steps which is the signature annual fundraising event for Living Beyond Breast Cancer and provides a way for individuals and teams to join their communities in supporting women affected by breast cancer - all while experiencing the healing benefits of yoga.  Does that not sound like an Amy organization? My heart tells me there is a reason why I got cancer.  Maybe right now it's just writing.  Someday......who knows? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!