Thursday, August 9, 2012

Quinoa Bars

Here I go singing the praises of quinoa again!  See my other post for a delish quinoa salad (and why you should eat it.) 

My friend Lori shared this recipe with me and I have since made them for my kids and the last group of women who came on one of my yoga retreats.  They are fabulous and despite the fact that they look like a dessert bar, they are very healthy.  Love that they satisfy my treat cravings and are guilt-free.  The picture I took shows that I am not a master chef but cut up these looked very pretty.  They were still very soft and chewy even  after I froze a pan for a week.

You should be able to find all of these ingrediants at a grocery store with a decent organic section. The initial 'investment' for the ingredients seems like a lot but it makes around five  8 x 11 pans.

Quinoa Bars

1 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup organic brown rice crispies
1/3 cup organic whey protein powder - vanilla flavored
1/4 cup organic milled flax seeds
1/4 cup of chia seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon.
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown rice syrup ** you can use less to reduce sugar, you need just enough to make them stick together
1/4 cup organic agave or honey
1/2 cup all natural peanut butter or nut butter (take a peek at the sugar content - I used the Once Again brand.
2 ++ tsp vanilla extract (I like vanilla)
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips.





In a large bowl mix quinoa through salt.

Place brown rice syrup, agave and nut butter  in small saucepan and heat over medium until warm and easily stirred. Add vanilla.

Pour the liquid over the dry mixture and mix well with a spoon and/or your hands. Make sure it is mixed well.

Spray a 8x11 glass pan with Pam or use parchment paper and spread the mixture out evenly. Melt chocolate chips in microwave - careful not to burn - 30 sec. at a time. Pour melted chocolate over the top and spread into a thin layer.

Freeze for 10 min. to set. Cut and store in the fridge.
Approx. nutrition: Cal. 204 Fat 8.2 Protein 8.2 Sugar 8g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!